Friday, May 13, 2011

First Mother's Day


I was never one of those infertiles who dreads Mother's Day. I do have a wonderful mother and that always gave me something to celebrate on Mother's Day. Admittedly, I have shed a few tears on Mother's Day in the past because I wasn't a mother yet, but most of the time I just treated Mother's Day like any other day. In most recent years, I haven't had the good fortune to be with my mother, but part of the day would be dedicated to talking with her on the phone as she opened her cards and gifts. And, that was good. I was always thankful, as I still am, to have been blessed with such a loving mother who is still "above ground," as she likes to say. With each passing year, I feel like our relationship changes, matures and gets better and better.
This year was particularly special for me because I actually got to spend it with my mother and, of course, it was my first Mother's Day.
I want to remember all the special moments from this day and one day share them with Andrew.
My mom was the first one to wish me a happy Mother's Day, as I fed Andrew his morning bottle, he and I cuddled up on the couch in my parents' living room, making goo goo eyes at each other in the pale morning light. I love those tender moments even though it sometimes seems like they come way too early.
We all got ready and went to church. Andrew looked so handsome in an outfit Greg's mom bought for him. It was a special service -- Mother's Day and baby dedication. I sat beside my mama on the pew with my daddy, my sisters, their husbands and all their children. In the first part of the service, the congregation sang "Because He Lives," it's a familiar hymn but it now has new meaning for me. Here are the words to the second verse:
"How sweet to hold a newborn baby,
And feel the pride and joy he gives.
But greater still the calm assurance,
This child can face uncertain days because He lives."

When we sang those words, my mama reached over and patted my hand. Needless to say, the waterworks started. A few moments later, the men and children in the church were asked to come to the front, take a pink carnation and give them out to all the mothers. My niece, Emily, presented me with my carnation. With a big grin on her face, she held out that flower and said "Happy First Mother's Day." It was so special.
Then, Andrew was part of the baby dedication service. I had debated on whether to participate without Greg there. But, the church we attend here in Louisiana does things very differently and besides, none of my family would have been able to attend if we did it here. So after talking with Greg about it, I decided to go ahead and sign up. I'm so glad I did. It was special for many reasons. First, it was our pastor's last baby dedication service because he's retiring this summer. Andrew slept through the whole thing, like a little angel. The baby dedication service, for anyone who isn't familiar, is a commitment ceremony in which parents promise to raise their child in a way that honors God. The extended families and the church members also participate in the service, promising to give their love and support in raising the child. As part of the dedication, we had to chose a "life verse" from the Bible for Andrew. We chose Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
I was thinking during the service about how long we waited for our son and how much longing and heartache we experienced and now he is here -- our dream came true and he was there, sleeping in my arms. At one point, I was so engrossed in my own thoughts about how Andrew came to be and how special he is that I forgot to say "I will" in response to the pastor.
That evening, my family gathered at my sister Carol's house for a fish fry. Her family loves to fish and always share their bounty with us. It was so yummy! I'm so glad they did it while I was home. We exchanged gifts and took pictures and just enjoyed being together. It was a perfect day. The only thing that could have made it better was if Greg had been there with us.


0 comments:

Post a Comment